Wednesday, March 24

MAORI HOSPITALITY

Last weekend, Bobby and I went to Tauranga (on the East Coast). There were no real plans, just hit the road and go; winging it again. You would think I would learn not to do that after Raglan, but who cares. It turned out perfectly. Took the NakedBus for the 2 hour drive to the coast; totally got off at the wrong stop and everyone stared at us. This is totally acceptable for me, an American tourist. Bobby really has no excuse. Not embarrassing at all.
I have been in NZ for a little over a month now, and I never fail to be impressed by the people of this country. Everyone really is as friendly as you imagine; strangers saying hi to one another with genuine smiles. But I have never experienced hospitality like I did that weekend. A friend of B's met us up and drove us around all day; giving a personal tour of his town; the beaches, mountains, towns, shops, etc. It was marvelous. The weather was absolutely perfect. The fish n' chips (which is, by the way, my new favorite meal) were orgasmic. I was just loving life.
B's friend took us to his sisters house to introduce us. After being there for a mere 30 seconds she personally offered up her own bedroom for B and I to stay in. After 10 minutes of lounging on their couch, she offered me her own dessert. She figured that since I am an American and had probably never tried steam pudding, that I would enjoy hers. She offered us movies, drinks, her car! And after we returned from our day of adventures we found an entire chicken waiting for us for dinner. AN ENTIRE CHICKEN.
This might not sound like a big deal to any Americans, a lot of people in the States would do things like this. But there is one monumental difference between the Kiwis/Maori and Americans: The Kiwis/Maori do it because they want to. It is literally "no big deal" to them, to offer up their own house, their kitchen, their car and food to complete strangers. I couldn't fathom how little she cared. In the States, if someone were to do that, they would hound you every 4 minutes to make sure you were comfortable. They would do and feel some kind of self-pride for their work; not that this a bad thing, it is just on two completely different levels. The hospitality in NZ is what I have been dreaming what the world would be like my entire life.
I was just sitting in this womans house, on the couch, all the doors and windows open and the warm breeze and sunshine filling up the room, thinking: I cannot believe this is happening. It is exactly everything I have ever wanted to experience in my lifetime.
I know without a doubt that I will remember that day for the rest of my life. I respect these people so much, so honestly and genuinely. I strive to be as carefree and loving as they are. They have forever set an example in my heart; for how the world should be, how I should try to be, and hopefully will one day become.

No comments:

Post a Comment