Monday, February 22

LIFE IS A ROLLERCOASTER

And in this case, my days are a rollercoaster. The strange thing about studying abroad is you are on a constant emotional rollercoaster. One second I feel really depressed and bored, and then I feel guilty for feeling bored while I am here. Then the next second I am meeting people from all over the world, going to beaches, soaking up the sun and enjoying life.
For example, yesterday was just sort of an off day. I felt sort of sad in general, for no particular reason. The campus was a ghost-town the last week and all the realizations of the culture here were sinking in. So I met up with my couchsurfing friend, Kirill and his two friends from Minnesota and drove to Raglan again to go surfing. Well, I didnt surf, I watched. But it was still a fantastic time. I had such a great day, and then I came home, became bored again and got depressed. The best advice I have for myself and for anyone else who wants to study abroad, is force yourself to socialize. It is one of the hardest things I have come to terms with, because being peppy and excited about knowing new people 24 hours a day is something really hard to do; at least for me. Sometimes I just want to kick back and relax.
I have no idea what I have to complain about. New Zealand is one of the most beautiful places I have ever seen. And the locals have no ideas. My pal was making fun of me for taking pictures of hills, because "they were just raised pieces of ground". HA. I have done something exciting almost every day since I have been here and I somehow feel like I am not doing enough. Tonight I am going to a hot water beach with a few of my newfound friends. The freshman also moved into the dorm today. I am the only American on my floor, and some of the girls approached me; totally fascinated with the fact that I am from America. It's a really amusing and awkward thing to realize that you actually an international student here. I really like the mixture of people from all over the world that live in my building. I was chatting with a fellow from South Africa today; nice guy. (FYI MOM: South Africans are white. Don't get your hopes up just yet.)
In even more exciting news, about 11 of us booked our flights to Christchurch on the South Island for spring break. I am SO FUCKING EXCITED. I cant wait to see where this adventure takes us. It's almost guaranteed to be a fantastic time.

No comments:

Post a Comment